Friday 7 May 2010

Gritty Portrait Tutorial

I decided to take a book out of the library,"The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book for Digital Photographers" to get some ideas for portrait effects. The online tutorial is shown on Scott Kelby's blog.

I came across a tutorial which makes the portrait look very dark and moody, with all the highlights and details extremely defined. It was very helpful using this tutorial, as I do not usually use Lightroom for retouching; I tend to use layers in Photoshop. It very easy to do and I would definitely use the technique again. I changed my picture to black and white though because I think the effect for this picture just works so much better than if it had been left in colour.

The effect he used produced this picture:



I decided to try this on a photograph I'd taken of Andy, outside the church in Hartlepool.
The original is shown on the left, the gritty effect applied on the right. I think this effect looks really really good, though I do understand that it will only work on certain portraits. I shall be using the image on the right as one of my final prints.


No comments:

Post a Comment