Friday 7 May 2010

Model's Needs from a Photoshoot

As a photographer I know which shots looks good and I know exactly what I want in a shot for my portfolio. Friends and family get roped in to my shoots, but are not that bothered about getting a print themselves. However, I asked people I have used in my shots what is important to them in a portrait. I asked the question on Facebook, so I could get a range of people's opinions quickly.

The question I asked was "Friends and family alike, please answer this!! What are the most important things you look for in a good, professional portrait of yourself?" and I got 9 responses.

A fellow photographer said she looked for good editing, models I've used in the past said good colour, making sure the model has good skin even if she/he doesn't, and someone else said a flattering pose. A friend's mum wanted a portrait that made her look younger and slimmer, yet someone else said that confidence and a connection between the model and photographer was important to them.

This is very interesting because when I take a picture my highest priority is good lighting, professional equipment to take the picture and making the model feel comfortable. I do understand retouching is needed to be done after, but I did not realise it was so important to the model. This is key information that I will bare in mind when retouching pictures in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment